Monday, April 6, 2015

கொற்றவையும் நீலமும்




Dear Mr. Jeyamohan,

I am an avid reader of venmurasu.  Reading your books is like peeling various layers of an onion. Every time I read it, it offers different perspectives and keeps me on my toes to interpret it completely in all possible dimensions. 

Last week, I bought Your book, 'Kotravai' and I could immediately see how this book is interlinked with "Neelam", right from the first line. The first line of this book evoked the word 
Indigo children in me ( pretty apt for venmurasu Neelam hero )

H alf way into the book (or to be precise on page 244 ), I realised what you are conveying about the ladies of Sambapuri - very subtle. The same day, I happened to hear a beautiful song  "Paadhi Kaadhal Paadhi Muttham" sung by Bombay Shree 


Now contrast these two with the stageplay, 'Vagina Monologue' which, a couple of years ago, was stopped due to its 'objectionable' content.

These seemingly unconnected things made me ponder about what society considers as objectionable ? Is it the 1-2 words that stand out and grab people's attention for all the wrong reasons or do people even go beyond the obvious words/lyrics and try to understand the real meaning and enjoy the content ?

Warm Regards,
Meenakshi Narayanan
அன்புள்ள மீனாட்சி

நீங்கள் சொல்வது உண்மை. கொற்றவைக்கும் நீலத்திற்கும் நடுவே ஒரு மையச்சரடு உண்டு. ஒரேவகையான ஆழ்படிமங்களால் ஆனவை அவை. 

ஓர் எழுத்தாளனை நுணுகி வாசிக்க அவனுடைய படிமங்களை அனைத்து எழுத்துக்களிலும் அவன் எப்படி சீராகப் பயன்படுத்துகிறான், எப்படி நுட்பமாக மாற்றிக்கொண்டிருக்கிறான் என அறிவது முக்கியமானது

சில விஷயங்கள் பூடகமாக இருக்கையில் மட்டுமே வலுவானவை

ஜெ