Tuesday, November 1, 2016

பூதகணம்



Dear Jeyamohan sir,

First of all I would request you to bear with me for writing this mail in English. I am a regular reader of your blog. There has been many occasions when I have been touched by your writing but I do not have the gumption to write to you.
I was born and brought up in Trichy and I have visited Bhikshandar kovil many a times. And also there is a sculpture of Bikshadanar in Thayumanvar praharam in Malaikottai. Upon reading ‘Kiratham’, I could only fathom a teeny bit of the mendicant spirit of this creation. However, what is nagging me is that, there is a dwarf man carrying a bowl/basket on his head walking along with Bhikshadanar in the sculptures. My father had told me that he is Gundothara. Now, I tried searching (google for common person like me) about this Gundothara to no avail. Wonder, if there is any significance or personification behind this character.
I am writing this purely out of ignorance and I thought turning to you for an answer will help.  At the same time, it feels stupid to expect a busy person like you to take time to reply to me. However, I am pleased with this opportunity to write to you.

Best wishes and regards,
Priya
(Priya Rajan – Bangalore)



அன்புள்ள பிரியா

வடக்கே கிராதர், காலபைரவர், கபாலர், கங்காளர், கஜசம்ஹாரர் போன்ற சிவ வடிவங்கள் மைய சைவப்பண்பாட்டிற்கு வெளியே தனி தெய்வங்களாகவே வணங்கப்படுகின்றன. ஆகவே அவை தங்கள் முதலுருவிலேயே பெரும்பாலும் உள்ளன

ஆனால் தமிழகத்தில் இந்தெய்வங்களை வழிபட்ட  சைவக் குறுமதங்கள் [பாசுபதம் காபாலிகம் காளாமுகம் மாவிரதம் வைராகம் போன்றவைபக்தி இயக்கத்தின் காலகட்டத்தில் வெறுத்து ஒதுக்கப்பட்டன. ஆனால் அவை அழியவில்லை. பின்னர் சைவம் பெருமதமாக எழுந்தபோது அவை சைவத்திற்குள் புறச்சமயங்களாக நிலைநிறுத்தப்பட்டன

அதன்பின்னர்தான் ஆலயங்களில் இச்சிற்பங்கள் இடம்பெற்றன. பெரும்பாலும் மண்டபத்தூண்களிலும் சுவர்களிலும். அபூர்வமாக தனிச்சன்னிதிகள் கொண்ட துணைத்தெய்வங்களாக ஆயின.

இத்தெய்வங்கள் எல்லாமே சிவனின் மறுவடிவங்களே என்று வகுக்கப்பட்டது. ஆகவே தென்னகத்தில் இச்சிற்பங்களில் பெரும்பாலும் சிவ சின்னங்களான மான் மழு இருக்கும். கூடவே சிவ பூதகணங்களும் இருக்கும்

அவ்வாறுதான் கங்காளமூர்த்தி காலபைரவர் போன்ற தெய்வங்களுடன் பூதகணம் ஒன்று சுமைதூக்கியாகவோ வாத்தியம் வாசிப்பவராகவோ உடன்செல்கிறது. சில இடங்களில் சிற்பம் இருக்கும் துணின் மறுமடிப்புகளில் மேலும் பூதகணங்கள் இருக்கும்

பூதகணங்களையும் மதனிகைகள் என்னும் ஆலயம்தாங்கிதேவதைகளையும் குள்ளர்களாக அமைப்பது சிற்ப மரபு

அது குண்டோதரன் அல்ல. பூதகணம், அவ்வளவுதான்

ஜெ