Wednesday, July 22, 2020

வெண்முரசு அனுபவம்



Dear Jeyamohan,
       

 (Apologies for not typing in tamil - I'm still not fluent in typing in tamil)


Like many of your readers, I too have been living and growing with Venmurasu for the past 7 years, and even had the privilege of getting a pre-booked copy of Prayagai with your signature. And, just like those myriad readers, I too experienced the transformative effect of Venmurasu. However, the intent of this mail is to share a very personal experience (அகவயமான அனுபவம்) with you.
        
When I was reading Mutharkanal, despite all the gigantic characters (like Bheeshmar, Sathyavathi, etc) the thing that struck me the most was "Chithrakarni the lion". From the day I read that chapter I might have thought of Chithrakarni (and how life is a cycle where the conqueror gets conquered at some point, etc) a few hundred times. I have read that in Zen buddhism the master gives his disciple a haiku or sentence to think on for years until the disciple reaches enlightenment thru that. I think it is almost like the நுண்சொல் mentioned at various points in Venmurasu. And Chithrakarni has become the  நுண்சொல் for me ever since. Whenever I'm in a position of dominating/ controlling someone I tend to think of how one day Kuhyashreyas (or is it Kuhyajaathas?) ate the mighty Chithrakarni's eyes. And when I feel like I'm being bossed-over, I think "even if I'm the cow at vyasa's kudil, there is a Kuhyashreyas waiting for all Chithrakarnis".
        
Now you can understand the shivers (மெய்சிலிர்ப்பு) I had when I read about Chithrakarni at the end of the novel, almost after 6.5 years. I don't know what this coincidence means, and if there is something unexplainable there or not. But I would like to think that there is something between me and that something that made you write this. And I thank you for that.
        
There is so much more to talk about Venmurasu, but you probably have heard it all. And I will keep it for when I meet you in person, hopefully when you visit the USA next time. I live in Maryland (30 min from Washington DC; I missed meeting you last year) and would love to host you whenever the travel opens up.

Thank you again for making my life richer in the past 6.5 years!

Anbudan,
Vinoth